dedicated to compassionate care for women
Karen Finkelstein, MD
Dr. Finkelstein is dedicated to compassionate care for women suffering from all types of gynecological cancer.
Certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology in OB/GYN and GYN/ONC, she is a leading gynecological oncology surgeon and excels at minimally-invasive robotic surgery.
Dr. Finkelstein was the first women’s specialist in New Mexico to receive certification as a Surgeon of Excellence in Robotic Surgery and Minimally Invasive Gynecology. The Surgeon of Excellence certification recognizes surgeons who demonstrate an unparalleled commitment and ability to consistently deliver safe, effective, evidence-based care.
She actively supports clinical research in New Mexico and is an executive board member of the New Mexico Cancer Care Alliance.
Married to her husband Matt, Dr. Finkelstein has two young children and enjoys time with family, traveling, swimming, and writing in her free time.
Gynecologic Cancer Expertise:
- In 2006, Dr. Finkelstein joined Southwest Gynecological Associates in New Mexico. Dr. Finkelstein is a licensed medical physician in gynecological oncology in New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, and Georgia.
- Prior to relocating to New Mexico, Dr. Finkelstein practiced as an Associate Professor at Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Gynecologic Oncology between 2004 and 2006.
- Dr. Finkelstein completed her Fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology at UNC – Chapel Hill after completing her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
- Dr. Finkelstein graduated Magna CumLaude from medical school in Brooklyn from State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn.
- Dr. Finkelstein also has a Masters in Biochemical Nutrition from Columbia University in New York and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in English from Duke University.